What is The Actor's Way?
It’s the holistic acting program you may have been searching for to awaken your body as well as your mind. It’s the way of broadening your sense of self so that you can find any character within you. It’s the way to take ownership of your life as an artist and have the tools to go ever deeper. And if you need to, it’s the way to loving yourself again as an actor.
How does it work?
The Actor’s Way is a ten-step, progressive path delivered as a video-guided, online study course with a 61-page course book that will help you master the concepts of Stanislavsky, Adler, Hagen and Meisner. The course is a ten-lesson celebration of your soul as an artist, combined with classical acting skills, neuroscience and life skills to make your life as an actor a more connected and joyful experience.
You may have studied Stanislavsky, Adler, Meisner and Hagen, but The Actor’s Way, based on the graduate-level training of your teacher and decades of industry experience, will carefully show you how to put these tools into your art. And it will empower you with other acting skills so that you can share your unique inner voice, get work, get a better agent, or get into a top drama school.
The Actor’s Way has been carefully designed to give maximum education in an informative, light-hearted way for the newcomer or professional actor who is searching for a deeper level of training. And it’s affordable for actors on a budget.
Our students have gone on to act in Hollywood feature films, international TV shows, indie films, soap operas and London’s West End. Get a taste of the level of training by watching the orientation to the course at the bottom of this page
The Actor's Way Course Content
- MODULE 1: Relax
- MODULE 2: Receive
- MODULE 3: Experience
- MODULE 4: Express
Lesson 1: Meet the Soul
PROBLEM: I want to play characters but I can’t identify with them.
- widen your conception of what you are and free yourself from self-imposed limitations when approaching a role.
- Get to know the multi-faceted personality that you possess so that you can later express it in your art.
- Learn what a character really is.
- Begin your first technical skill exercise.
Lesson 2: Calm the Soul
PROBLEM: I get stressed before I go onstage and I know it’s affecting my work.
- Relieve emotional blockages that are created by tension and learn tools that will improve your acting and your life.
- Dispel the wrong idea that tension is useful in acting.
- Use a simple meditation exercise to clear, relax and awaken to the connectedness of all humans, thus losing fear of the audience.
- Use a more efficient breathing pattern before auditioning that tones the Vagus nerve.
- Increase your ability to feel emotions through a brain plasticity technique.
- Use a mindfulness tool to check your stress levels and relate this to moment-by-moment acting.
- Prepare your second technical exercise.
Lesson 3: Meet the Ego & the Emotions
PROBLEM: I need help knowing what I’m feeling and why I’m feeling it.
- Discover the actor’s inward treasure and the source of emotions.
- Learn a helpful structure of the human ego and how you can make it work in your acting.
- Learn how we sabotage our own work.
- Increase your emotional vocabulary.
- Learn a crucial and comforting reason that your truth is worth expressing.
- Avoid common traps in playing characters.
- Third technical exercise.
Lesson 4: Open the Heart, Focus the Mind
PROBLEM: My emotions are blocked in and I find it hard to concentrate.
- In a safe, supported way, we’ll increase your vulnerability with a future scene partner by using a progressive course of sensory techniques from both classical acting and neuroscience.
- Self-study exercises to develop greater powers of focus – crucial for acting for stage or screen.
Lesson 5: Awaken the Body
PROBLEM: My acting feels small and my gestures feel forced and clumsy.
- Learn the two enemies of the actor: ‘screen time’ that puts us in a prison and devastates our abilities to act and express emotions, and our own Limbic System which kicks in when we audition.
- We’ll do exercises to make you feel more at home in your body, and learn the technique of Neuro Gestures, a technique of getting the text into your body so that you can express it and the audience can enjoy your work more.
Lesson 6: Connect with Another
PROBLEM: My sensitive nature makes it hard for me to connect with people.
- Learn what is at work in your soul that is blocking you.
- We’ll grow beyond this blockage using visualization exercises and tools from neuroscience that you can put to work in your life, as well as a powerful mantra you can say to yourself which will instantly connect you with another actor.
- These useful, freeing tactics pave the way to the introduction of technical acting skills in the next lesson.
Lesson 7: Play an Action
PROBLEM: I want more variety in my acting. I get bored during a performance run.
- Now that we know who we are, and that it’s okay to be vulnerable, and we now have the tools to connect with another person – now we learn to act.
- This is a highly creative, interactive lesson between you and Bryan where you will learn the technical skills from Stanislavsky, Uta Hagen, Stella Adler, Sanford Meisner and others.
- The emphasis is on ‘living truthfully’ instead of manufacturing emotions – for now.
Lesson 8: Connect with your Emotions
PROBLEM: I can tell I’m not revealing what I’m feeling.
- We learn the law that prevents actors from working: “No matter what I felt, if the audience didn’t see it, I didn’t do it.”
- We learn two powerful approaches to inducing emotions that are clear, repeatable and crucially: easy to step out of.
- You’ll also learn self-study facial exercises which do not replace the acting skills, but are the icing on the cake for your acting.
Lesson 9: Prepare and Share a Role
PROBLEM: I’m given a script and I need a way to approach a character.
- This lesson is a goldmine of information so that you can rise above other actors – whether for a monologue performance, an audition scene or an entire performance.
- From meeting the script through to performance, you will learn how to create and perform an acting ‘score’ using a wealth of worksheets, audio downloads and the Neuro Acting copyrighted Table of Actions.
Lesson 10: Love the Soul of the Artist
PROBLEM: I am dissatisfied in my soul and I want self-acceptance.
- We are our harshest critic and the happiest way for us to live is to continue to grow as an artist, continue to delve into ourselves, keep finding healthier ways of connecting and working with others and keep building a healthy life of awareness, responsibility, purpose and service.
- This final lesson contains several ways of creating this limitless program of living.
The Actor's Way is for actors who:
- are looking for a complete structured training course
- want to expand their emotional intelligence
- want easier, more reliable access to their emotions
- want to enjoy the thrill of auditioning again
- want to silence their inner critic once and for all
- want to grow both as an artist and a person
It is not for actors who:
- want an instant bag of tricks
- want to hide behind a character
- shun the idea of facing their strengths and weaknesses.
- are driven to be a celebrity